A pirate map is a concept that I learned from Dan John who I believe adopted the idea from Pat Flynn.
Think back to when you were a kid and read a pirate map:
1. Start at the boat 🚤
2. Walk west until you hit the palm trees🏝
3. Move south past the mountains ⛰
4. AVOID THE SHARK INVESTED WATER 🦈
5. Veer slightly east as you keep moving south between the trees🌴 and ☠️
6. When you hit the next set of mountains ⛰ turn west
7. Continue until you find where ❌ marks the spot
A few simple steps to take you from where you are, to where you want to be.
Apply this to your health / fitness / longevity goals. What simple steps do you need to take every day that will help you find your treasure.
This can be more beneficial than ever during a time like this. Here’s what a ‘pirate map’ of a day in lockdown currently looks like for me:
1. Wake early
2. Read something
3. Move / train (a strength piece, a cardio piece and a skill piece)
4. Eat (2 meals per day, no snacks)
5. Drink (bulk water, coffee or tea)
6. Hot / cold (both) exposure (sauna and pool or contrast shower)
7. Write something (programs, business, journal, training diary etc)
8. Sleep early
If I can tick those things off, I know I’ve had a good day and am on the right track to being where I want to be.
Don’t think about the end goal.
Think about the simple steps you need to tick off every single day.